Tuesday, January 12, 2010

grateful

My dad received his stem cells back a week and half ago. Everything went well, except for the DMSO smell (stem cell preservative). I will never eat corn chowder again! We will wait for his cells to engraft and hope that it will help bounce back his platelets and rbcs. Couple of days ago, my parents went to the NP again. His m-protein results from a week ago remained the same. YAY! He also got some platelets and rbc.

Overall, my dad is doing well, he remains active! I love how he cooked and cared for me during my winter break. It feels extremely good to feel like a kid again. :) I love how he stole my Christmas present (a snuggie) from bf! I love how he made a big deal out of dinner whenever my bf came to visit. I love how he made the most delicious food because he feels that I am deprived of food at school. I love how he lectured me about having a irregular sleeping cycle. I love how he didn't understand that I am a college student and I do not have the luxury to sleep whenever I want. I love how he forced to eat lunch. Man, I feel like I am in high school again! I LOVE HIM! :)

And as for me, this is my second week back to school and it's already kicking my behind. I planned to attend the lymphoma and leukemia ASH recap conference, and I have company this year! Last year I went alone and it was pretty intimidating, especially since I went alone but nonetheless I had a great time.



Almost every year of college, thalidomide, is mentioned in at least one of my classes. Did you know they are studying the treatment of crohn’s disease (i think it's crohn's disease) with thalidomide? In developmental nutrition, the professor showed extensive pictures of birth deficits due to thalidomide. It seemed that thalidomide affected different disciples in different ways, but it all comes down to the 1960s newborns. In many European countries and Canada, many pregnant women used thalidomide for nausea and sleeping aid. Babies were born with shorten/disfigured limbs, so it was soon banned in the drug market.

It is pretty amazing how thalidomide changed the treatment of myeloma. Because of it, we have Revlimid and soon Actomid (pomilidomide) available. I believe things happen for a reason, we may experience set backs but in the end...everything will ok. We may not see it, but know somehow someway it will be alright. I know positive thinking maybe hard at times, especially when all you see is darkness. Who am I kidding, I am the most pessimistic person out there! In all honesty, I have gained so much from my dad's diagnosis, of course, I would prefer it not to happen, but I have to make sense of it in one way or another. It is what it is.

3 comments:

  1. Okay I didn't grab onto all the science stuff completely, but I DID get feeling like a kid again! It comes in spurts but hey, we take the good with the bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of positives going on for you and your father. We continue to pray for your father, you and your family.

    Sue and I are also registered for the ASH conference. We got the short version of Dr. Wolf's speech today. He put Sue on a maintenance regimen of 10 mg of Revlamid daily. Apparently a recent control group study indicates Revlamid can extend the time before relapse following a STC. We hope to see you there. George Harper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome blog! I am glad I stumbled across it this morning. I was diagnosed with MM over a year ago at 28...eeeeee! I am approaching my first SCT in March; with moth like a second (tandem) to follow thereafter.

    I really like your perspective on the advancement of chemo drugs and it gave me heart of thankfulness to all those little babies and now grown adults with disfigurements. Although they were affectively adversely, I am have affective positively.

    Keep dominating,

    Phil

    http://mmfordummies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete